Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

You will never hear me say that I hated the movie adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Stylistically, things have improved this time around, but it is a pity that all of the puzzle pieces that helped the movie to this new state of achievement apparently came from different boxes. If I were to phrase it in a sentence without the metaphorical puzzle pieces, I would say that it felt like I was watching two separate movies.

Both movies were exceptional, one being a very funny romantic comedy, and the other a brooding, dark and sinister fantasy drama, but those elements did not fit together the way director David Yates must have dreamed it would. It is possible for these genres to coincide very well (see American Beauty) but that level of film-making is not a level that Yates has achieved yet.

Don't get me wrong about this film. Many of the scenes were brilliantly done. The shots were absolutely stunning, and the filming was absolutely beautiful. The acting has improved this time around (more on that in a moment), the score, although mediocre, was definitely passable, and the direction seemed a bit more focused than Yates previous installment in the Potter franchise.

So where did everything go wrong? Haphazard grouping of certain sequences is exactly what killed this movie. You cannot jump from a sexually awkward "shoe tying" situation into an emotionally heart wrenching masterpiece, and then be thrust back into a rom-com romp without having people turn some heads in confusion.

On a brighter note, the acting in this film was exceptional from all involved (with the obvious exception of Bonnie Wright as Ginny Weasley. I really hate to pick on the girl, but watching her attempt to hold her own in a scene was a very awkward type of torture.)Tom Felton turned in a very unexpected turn as Draco Malfoy. Draco's insecurity and need to satisfy his own need to form an identity absolutely shine in this film, and Felton's performance is absolutely stunning.

I am proud to say that Michael Gambon's Dumbledore finally calmed the hell down, and it seems as though he finally understands who Dumbledore is supposed to be. The trio all turn in their expected performance, although it was pleasant to see Daniel Radcliffe get the opportunity to sneak some comedy into the film. His scene where he is on cocai- sorry...Felix Filicis is absolutely hilarious. Newcomer to the Harry Potter scene Jim Broadbent does absolutely marvelous as Professor Slughorn. It definitely is not Oscar worthy as some early reviewers have hinted, but it is absolutely wonderful to see an actor of his caliber joining the cast. An unexpectedly heartwrenching drunken monologue from Broadbent is one of the better scenes in the movie, and moved me almost to tears.

Also, don't let the PG rating make you think that the film-makers have toned down the film at all. We have a character completely bleeding out in one part, and another character forcefeeding someone poison by the end. By all means it is very dark, but it would fumble over its own feet before starting this perfectly accomplished tapdance.

By all means, it is what the new Star Trek was to the Star Trek films. There wasn't exactly a whole lot of plot to speak of,so they focused on character development instead. This is a worthy choice, as it will give us something t o care about in the next two installments.

Like I said earlier, it is a beautiful looking film with fantastic actors, but it doesn't work as a movie. It would be like if someone gave you the freshest eggs, the sweetest milk, and the richest flour and told you it was a muffin. It just doesn't work.

I enjoyed the romantic comedy aspect of the film almost as much as I enjoyed the darker side, but attempting to force the two together without any particular connection between the two creates a deep rivet in the film, giving many fans a very anticlimactic and unsatisfied sensation by the end.

B

If you enjoyed Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Shaun of the Dead, or Love Actually you will enjoy this movie.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the previews made the movie sound like it was going to be really good. I was looking foward to the battle scene that is in the book,but it all seemed so calm in the movie when he death eaters arrived. but the acting did improve, im glad there was more comedy as well. I just wish the battle scene would have been included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I agree to much with you on this Mr. Bean. I felt a lot of the character development (having not re-read this book before seeing the movie) was very scattered and misplaced. I felt Draco's performance with the lack of much on screen character development left something to be desired to say the least. The art direction was SPECTACULAR and I can't believe you felt that the serious was FORCED with the funny or vice versa. Its not like anyone cracked a joke when Draco was practically bleeding to death, and it's not like anyone got shot in the head when suddenly Ginny and Harry are in a very awkward(and suggestively written) room of requirement scene. It was a pendulum, yes. But I thought each stroke between the two was not only appropriate but (dare I say) charming. The visual effects were awing... I'm not sure if tacking on nearly 2/3 of a year onto Post helped with that (though I'm sure it did) but I must say wowzers. And of course it goes without being said that a lot of stuff was left out of the movie and believe me I missed the fight scenes at the end as well as the one (if I remember correctly) near the beginning. Anywho, I can't really say I see eye to eye with you on this one Beanie.... :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chase Langley

    I agree that the art direction and ESPECIALLY the cinematography were incredibly well done, perhaps I did not highlight that enough in the review.

    I understand what you say about how nobody cracked a joke during draco's death scene, as that would have taken the level of ridiculous up to almost a Pirates of the Caribbean 3 level.

    I found myself equating the importance of whether Hermione and Ron got together with the importance of the future of the wizarding world.I understand that that was supposed to be the point, but it just didn't sit well with me.

    Thanks for the feedback my good friend, and we can indeed agree to disagree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, fuck you.... Kidding Kidding of course my friend, but I also do see your point.... But in all honesty we both know that Ron and Hermione hooking up as a MUCH more important issue, am I right? And the cinematography was DANK!!! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete